If you’re in need of some comfort food that will both fuel your body and warm your soul, look no further than today’s delectable Best Bite recipe from certified health and wellness coach, Neda Varbanova. This vegan sweet potato and white bean dish delivers all the goodness of a hearty, creamy soup without any of the heaviness to bog you down. Serve it at your next holiday gathering or take it out for lunch; no matter how you choose to share it this season, we guarantee you will be surrounded by happy tummies!
I love cream soup…but without the cream, it can become a pure comfort bowl! This soup is free from dairy and gluten, and the white beans add body and protein without distracting from the rich sweet potato flavor. Try serving it with chopped green apple and a spoonful of Greek yogurt to add a tangy flavor. For my vegan friends, skip the yogurt – it tastes just as good!
- Wash the potatoes with water, peel and cut them in large pieces.
- In a large pot, melt coconut oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion, garlic, turmeric and sage. Sauté for 2 minutes, until translucent.
- Add the potatoes, stock, coconut milk, water and season to taste with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, and lower the heat to medium. Cook for 30 minutes, until the potatoes are soft. Add the canned beans and turn off heat.
- In small batches, transfer the vegetables to a high-powered blender. Add broth as you go, depending on how thick or thin you want the soup to be. For thicker, add less broth, and for thinner add more broth. Blend until smooth.
- Pour the soup back into the pot. Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking.
- Ladle soup into bowls and enjoy with any of the suggested toppings!
Images via: Neda Varbanova