It’s October, which means it’s also National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. And while there are countless ways you can contribute to the cause, you may be surprised that partaking in a simply scrumptious four-course dinner is one of them. That’s exactly what Fig & Olive is offering at all of it’s restaurants around the country this month. Their special prix fixe menu is the result of a collaboration between Executive Chef Wilfrid Hocquet and Celebrity Nutritionist Elissa Goodman, and a portion the of proceeds from each meal go directly to the National Breast Cancer Foundation.
But on the off-chance that you don’t live near one of their fine locations, today we’re offering their recipe for the healthy and delicious dessert (or finale, if you will) of this special menu for you to make right at home. Read on to see how easy it is to bring this perfectly light poached pear to life!
- Combine the orange juice, lemon zest, juice, honey and spices in a pot big enough to contain all the pears and bring to a boil.
- Peel the pears, leaving their stems on. Core them carefully with a baller and reserve in water with a lemon juice.
- Lower the pears into the boiling water and adjust the heat so that it simmers gently. Cook, turning the pears every 5 minutes or so, until they meet little resistance when prodded with a thin-bladed knife, usually from 1 to 3 hours, depending on the ripeness.
- Take out the pear from the cooking liquid and reduce the orange juice to a sirup consistence.
- Cool down and replace in the reduced cooking liquid.
- For the plating, take a bowl and add 3 tbsp of reduced cooking liquid.
Dispose the pear inside the bowl and sprinkle with the pistachio Granola.
- Decorate with micro Basil and serve immediately.
*Makes 10 servings.
Images via: Fig + Olive